Monday, March 31, 2014

March Service Challenge: Recap


And just like that, the month of March has passed us by. Today's the last day of March and I really hope you had a chance to join us in our Monthly Service Challenge this month. If not, no worries, there's always April's challenge! 

In the meantime, however, I've realized that while I posted photos on our Instagram account showing an update of how we did with the challenge, it would probably be a good idea to do the same here on our blog. 

For that reason, I've decided to do a "recap" at the end of each month sharing our story and how we did with the challenge for that month. So, without further ado, here is our first Service Challenge Recap... 

If you recall, this month's challenge was titled Read Across America in honor of the National Read Across America Day which was on March 2nd. The challenge was to read a book to a child(ren) and/or donate a book(s) to someone or an organization.

I decided to do both. I sent JB's pre-school teacher a text message asking if Daddy Osos and I could come in and read to his class. She was thrilled! I was thrilled! The kids were...eh...well let's just say they were happy to have things switched up a bit, I think.


Daddy Oso, being the supportive husband he is and having read my blog post, asked if he could come along and take part in the challenge too (gotta love him). I, honestly, couldn't have been more happy that he chose to share in the experience with me! Not to mention, the kids absolutely loved him! 

Men don't get enough credit for stepping up like this and giving back to their community so I want to take the time to publicly thank him for his act of service. You are very loved, Daddy Oso!


We really enjoyed the experience and sharing it together made it that more special for us and the class as a whole. We talked about doing it more often and possibly doing the same with our older ositos' class. That will take more courage, though. Teenagers tend to be a tougher crowd but life's all about conquering our fears, right?  

As for the book donations, I searched through my personal library at home and chose three books to donate: 
  1. "Become a Better You" by Joel Osteen. This book is such a great book and a good read. I almost didn't want to part ways with it but was moved to donate it in hopes that it could be a real blessing to someone else. 
  2. "What to Expect the First Year" by Sharon Mazel and Arlene Eisenberg. As my child bearing years have officially come to an end and Baby Osa just turned one, I no longer have a need for this book but hope it can be a blessing to another Momma.
  3. "The Resume Kit" by Richard H. Beatty. I purchased this book when I was in college and it came in handy when I needed it to. However, everything is available on the internet now a days so I didn't find a need for it anymore. That doesn't mean it couldn't be useful to someone who doesn't have internet access readily available or prefers to do their research with an actual book. In any event, I felt the need to donate this book as well.      
After combing through my inventory and choosing these three books, I printed the gift tags that I had made and tied them to each book.


I thought about who and where I wanted to donate these books to. 

I finally decided on taking them with me during one of my local grocery trips and leaving them at the store's charging station (with the exception of the Resume book which I left at a different location in the store). 

I'm so happy to say that by the time I was done shopping and on my way out of the store, I checked to see if the books where still there and they were all gone!


Yay! I was so happy and prayed that these books could somehow be a blessing to the recipients.

I am so happy that God placed the idea of starting a Monthly Service Challenge in my heart. If for nothing else, it pushes me to be more of service in my own life and be accountable for spreading a little more of God's grace in His world.

I hope you join me in next month's challenge!  Till then my friends!

4 comments :

  1. Hey beautiful wife of mine... it was a blast reading to the kids with you, I really enjoyed it. I look forward to your next monthly challenge and can't wait to support you in all that you do. I love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, baby...your support means the world to me! Love you!

      Delete
  2. I love this! I am sharing with all my social media pages. It is nice to know a fellow Christian Blogger out there. Lots of love to you and family!
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Same here! We were destined to virtually meet! lol You're like my new bff in my head! lol It's funny how things work out, though. I have a funny story to tell you but I'll shoot you a quick email. Cuidate, amor!

      Delete