Thursday, March 13, 2014

My New Journey: Youth Mentoring


I did it! I finally signed up to become a Mentor!

It's something I knew I would do as I got older, maybe in my 50's, but I had no idea I would do it this soon in life.  It's amazing how God works sometimes though...


My church is in the midst of a rapid growing season and one of the new ministry initiatives they are working on is a mentoring program. They've partnered up with a local Y.M.C.A. for the launching of THRIVE: The T.L.C.C. Mentor Project!

I knew about this initiative a while before I actually worked up the nerve to inquire about it. I heard it mentioned a few times but always felt that I wasn't ready to serve in that capacity yet. I talked myself out of it every time: you're not ready, you're too young, what could you possibly help these kids with, etc. etc. 

Then one day, I remember laying in my bedroom and it really weighing heavy on my heart. I started to think about all the reasons why I should sign up: I grew up in an urban area, I can relate to many of the same struggles these young teenagers face, I've been exposed to some things children should never be exposed to, etc., etc., Yet, by the grace of God, I was able to rise above all of that and become a productive citizen. Maybe now IS the time to share my story and pay it forward, I thought. 

I called my husband and shared my thoughts with him and he supported me all the way, so I signed up.  

Now, as you can imagine, beginning a mentoring program is serious business. Children's lives are at stake so, naturally, the need to do things the right way and not cause more harm than good takes precedent over everything else. For this reason, it's been a very slow process getting the program off the ground and my anticipation has been building since last year.

During that time, however, I was interviewed, attended a training session and was able to ask all the questions I had til' my heart was content. I felt prepared, excited and eager to start serving God's children.


Well, I'm happy to say that we finally had our first group meeting this past Friday, March 7, 2014! The beginning of a new journey for me and in the life of our church!

I'm officially among the first group of mentors of this, here, program. No pressure!

So, I'd be lying if I said my anxiety level wasn't through the roof last week as we waited for the children to arrive but that all diminished once the ball got rolling. We did a few ice-breakers and then split up into two groups where we had to work together to assemble a bike.


The bikes were then donated to two children who were living at the Y.M.C.A.'s homeless shelter. What an honor it was to be a part of that moment! 


We ended our night by sharing what we had learned about each other and discussing the future of the program as we're each paired up with a mentee. 

I have to say what a wonderful first time experience this was for me. I expected the kids to be closed off and guarded but they opened up quicker than anyone could have imagined. Honestly, the room had God's presence all over it.

I can't wait to find out who I'll be paired up with and I pray that God guides our time together.


I was asked, by one of the program directors, what I would say to someone who may be considering the idea of becoming a mentor. My answer to her was this: If you have ever even entertained the idea of becoming a mentor it's because God has placed it in your heart and if God placed it in your heart then you should follow through with it. God has a great plan and purpose for our lives. We just have to be willing to listen and follow Him.

Wish me luck, guys! I'll keep you posted...


No comments :

Post a Comment