Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Love Letter to My Son on His 14th Birthday


Wow...14 years old already, Papito! It's crazy how time flies. Today, on your birthday, I write you this letter as I reminisce on the past 14 years of your life...

Dear DB,

It has been such a blessing to see you grow up in front of my very own eyes. As much as I hate to admit it, I finally have to accept the fact that you are officially taller than your mother and closing in fast on your father. When I took you to your physical last month you clocked in at 5 feet, 10 inches, and you were still only 13 with a lot more growing to do! 

You are coming into your own, too. Your voice has gotten deeper and I've officially popped your first pimple (ewww...don't kill me for writing this). You are slowly learning what this world is about and how to stand on your own two feet, learning that not every thing will come easy and that it'll require your hard work and dedication. This is true for all areas of your life from school work to sports and everything in between.

I've seen how you have dealt with adversity and I applaud you for it. You are a leader, son. You walk away from situations that could get you in trouble and I've seen you befriend kids that others make fun of. You have a good, genuine heart Papito, and I hope that it stays that way and that your relationship with our heavenly Father continues to grow stronger.

You'll be graduating from the 8th grade soon and entering a whole new chapter in your life: HIGH SCHOOL! New challenges, new friends, new accomplishments! I can't wait!

You also got your first paying job this year for babysitting at church and the look on your face, when you opened your mail and saw your very first paycheck, was priceless! What touched my heart was the fact that you turned around and invited me out on a date and offered to pay for it! A girl can get use to that! I'll cherish that moment for the rest of my life and look forward to having more with you, mi amor!


As one of four children, I know you have to share the attention with the other ositos but know that I've made a promise to carve out more one-on-one time with you so that you can share whatever is in your heart with me. 

That is why Daddy and I were so excited when you were chosen to participate in the Jackie Robinson Day Baseball Clinic across from Yankee Stadium, last week.  We dedicated the whole day to you and saw you shine like the star you are. We took pleasure in seeing you practice on the field and seeing the dreams in your eyes of becoming a future baseball player across from the field you hope to, one day, eventually play in.

I hope that dream comes true for you, my love, but know that you are already a star in our eyes.

MLB Network Analyst and former MLB player, Harold Reynolds and Jackie Bradley, Jr., of the Boston Red Sox 
Jackie Robinson's Daughter, Rachel Robinson



In the meantime, however, we'll cherish all the memories that are made 'till then and after. We love you, DB! You are my heart, mi primero osito!

Con mucho amor,


Your Mami-Bear

2 comments :

  1. Happy birthday baby boy....we love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. bigmatrimonial

    ReplyDelete