Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Away from Home



This year we decided to do things a little different. Because who doesn't like a challenge, right? Exactly. So, we decided to spend our Thanksgiving Holiday up in the cold, snowy mountains of The Poconos.  I didn't want to sacrifice the tradition of cooking Thanksgiving Dinner for my family so we agreed that I would do so at our new destination. I know, I know! What was I thinking? Bless my heart because the truth is - I wasn't thinking. Hindsight is always 20/20, I tell you.

So, as the days drew closer and I began packing all the things I would need, the thought of cooking in an unfamiliar kitchen had me thinking twice. What pots do I bring, what special utensil will I need, etc., etc. Of course, I made a list but we all know that there is always something left behind. Thank God, however, that what was forgotten this time around had nothing to do with the food.

We made it a family affair in the kitchen the night before Thanksgiving. We made the desserts (1 cake and 2 pies) and the potato salad.  I was lucky enough to have two wonderful boys help me peel the potatoes and I just had to capture the moment. 


On Thanksgiving Day, the plan was for rest of the gang to attend the Resort's Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade and play some flag football while I stayed in the kitchen cooking. Well that didn't happen and instead they bugged me ALL day about when Thanksgiving dinner would be ready. My mistake was not taking into account the different stove and kitchen I would be cooking in and telling them that dinner time would be at 4pm. So we ended up eating at 4:45p.m. instead. Shoot me already! By the look on these guys' faces you would think they didn't eat all!  


But all's well that ends well! Everyone managed to stay alive long enough to let me set things up, buffet-style, like shown in the featured image above. We were finally able to say grace and eat around 4:45p.m.! I was so stuffed that I forgot to take an "after" photo to show their stuffed faces. Oh well. We headed out afterwards for some tree lighting fun and a competitive game of bowling.  I sucked except in this one picture taken after I miraculously bowled a strike!



Could you believe I stilled finished in second to last place? Tuff crowd I tell you.


The photo above is how we ended the night. It was a very long day!


I even got to do some Black Friday shopping the next day with the help of Santa's Little Helper!

Dear Ositos,

I had a great time on our first Thanksgiving away from home.  It was a break from our usual tradition and that's probably what made it more exciting and fun.  Daddy and I spoke about it and, who knows, maybe we'll make a tradition out of it and celebrate Thanksgiving in the Poconos every three years. I want you to know that everything I do is to ultimately put a smile on your face.  Slaving in the kitchen all day was worth it the minute you guys dug in and told me how yumee the food was.  That game of bowling we played at night was pretty awesome, too. I promise that next time around I'll be much better at it. I love you guys so much and look forward to doing it again next year, at home though!

Los quiero mucho,

Your Mami-bear

No comments :

Post a Comment