Friday, December 27, 2013

1st Annual Happy Child Happy Smile Toy Drive


It has long been a dream of mine to hold a toy drive for children who are less fortunate. Well, this year my dream finally became a reality.

James 2:16-17 (NIV)
If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
My Pastor has been teaching this message for a while now and I must say that I've been guilty of inaction - of not doing the things that God has placed in my heart to do. What if no one donates any toys? What if people think that I will steal their donations and give them to my own children? Do I really want to commit my time and effort to this? People will surely think that I have some kind of ulterior motive. This was the internal dialogue I was having with myself for so many years now. This is what has been preventing me from doing what was in my heart for so long. However, this year I finally decided to take action. Let the chips land where they may.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”― Aristotle

I know and, more importantly, God knows what is truly in my heart. My whole motivation behind doing the toy drive was to bring smiles to as many children as possible who may not otherwise have a reason to smile this holiday season. That is why I decided to care less about what people say and care more about the impact we could possibly make in these children's lives. I mustered up the courage to finally call the school social worker and offered to hold a toy drive benefiting the children who were most at risk within the school. My initial goal was to receive about 20 to 25 new toys. I was excited that she accepted my offer!

I designed this flyer and enlisted my husband's help in getting the word out.


By the end of it all, we had received double the donations I had expected.


We were able to deliver over 50 toys to the school and bring smiles to over 50 little faces. Go God!


To think that one person's insecurities could have prevented 50+ children from receiving a blessing really helps put things in perspective for me. I'm happy I took the leap of faith and even happier that my expectations were doubled. Here's looking to next year's 2nd Annual Toy Drive!

Dear Ositos,

The look on your faces when the house began to fill up with toys was priceless. I took joy in you saying that you were proud of me too. In taking my leap of faith and doing God's work, it inspired NB to donate a lot of her toys to her classmates as she made sure that each one of her classmates had a gift. That was, by far, one of the greatest parenting moments of my life. Doing good things and paying it forward is one of life's greatest responsibilities and rewards. It's contagious, too. The more you do, the more you want to keep on doing.  Keep the cycle of blessings going mis ositos.

Los amos,


Tu Mami-bear

1 comment :

  1. I love doing God's work, not only was it priceless putting a smile on a child's face but the smile I saw on your face melted my heart...I love you Mami Bear.

    ReplyDelete