Friday, January 24, 2014

10 Things I Would Tell My 17 Year-Old Self, If I Could. (An Open Letter)


There's nothing like reminiscing through old pictures and taking a trip down memory lane. Oh, the memories! That's what I experienced as I tried to complete Random Fact No. 4 of the "52 Things My Ositos Should Know About Their Mami-Bear" Series. Why seventeen? Well, I'll be thirty-four this year and half of thirty-four is seventeen which marks the half way point of my existence on earth.  So, in addition to listing 10 things I would like to tell my seventeen year-old self, I decided to pen an open letter as well. 

Many influential people such as Oprah Winfrey, Stephen King and Tyler Perry did the same. Here's what I would say, if I could...


Dear Jazzy, 

I'm proud of you. You didn't hear that enough growing up but that actually served to fuel you even more. You sought out to be an independent young lady the first chance you got, mainly because things were so strict for you growing up. A girl with a job, a car and in school at your age? Listen, no one could tell you anything! Your strong taste for independence, however, caused you to loose focus on finishing college and indirectly resulted in you having your first child just shy of your 20th birthday. Not to worry though, you go on to marry your child's Father, have three more children with him and have the big family that you always wanted. You go back to school and get your degree, too. You just chose to do it the hard way - with three kids, a husband and a full-time job, but I'm proud of you for finishing what you started years ago. You didn't take the traditional route of doing things but you got it done;  your way, on your terms. Kudos to you, my love.

See, that same God-given determination and self-motivation that you have will help you accomplish a lot of the goals that you have for yourself in life. I just wish you would have believed in yourself a little more under certain circumstances. And, while I know you may feel like you missed out at times, rest easy knowing that all things will work together for your good, mi amor. You defied the odds and go on to become a productive citizen. I must warn you, though. Things get tough for you at times so try to grow in your relationship with our Heavenly Father as soon as you can. I know you've always believed in Him but make sure you acknowledge Him in all that you do and stop trying to figure things out on your own. He's got you, believe me. You'll thank me later!

Above all else, know that you'll be fine, corazon, and just trust yourself. You're a fighter. 

Love you, 

1 comment :

  1. Wow, looking at this picture brings back a lot of memories of when we began or journey in life together. You are still that beautiful young tenderoni I fell in love with 15yrs ago. I am so proud of you in all that you have accomplished. You have so much drive and passion in everything you do. You are my definition of a queen. We have come a long way and I just want you to know I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you (growing old with you) as we use to say. I love you and that beautiful smile you have just keeps me going . Love is patient, love is kind... 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

    ReplyDelete